Friday, September 4, 2009

Breakfast rated here!

Okay everyone, now people love their breakfast. There's no denying it. Sometimes you might skip it, but that only makes it more enjoyable when you do have it. For me, breakfast is the best meal of the day (well it can be), with dinner coming in second and lunch a faraway third (only exception is when I skip breakfast, so then lunch moves to the number one spot).

All this week, I've been touring the local Huntington Beach scene for the best chain stores to eat a good breakfast. I'm going to rate each one and write a little blurb about why I liked it or not. Even after I write this, you should definitely try to go out and eat breakfast at one of your favorite places that you would normally eat lunch or dinner at. The experience will be different and you would be surprised at what they offer. Trust me, you should at least try it once.


MCDONALD'S

B

This place is always a classic. They have a huge menu for lunch, and with the new McCafe, their selection of "wake-up" juice just can't be beat. I had their Sausage Egg McMuffin combo which was delicious, but of course it was just lacking that special something called freshness. Coffee was awesome, but the hashbrown itself left something to be desired. This is the choice of breakfast for those that are in a rush and want something fast.


CORNER BAKERY CAFE

A

Normally I come here for lunch and dinner for their pastas and soups, but their breakfast menu is equally as delicious. I had the All-American Scrambler which was made with fresh eggs, bacon, roasted potatoes, and two pieces of toast. OH IT WAS GOOD! The only negative is that it takes about five minutes for them to make the food, so expect to wait a little. However, it will not disappoint. I would choose this place over a Denny's breakfast anytime. They also had a wide selection of omelets and other items. If you're looking for a place to try out breakfast, then give yourself a little extra time before school or work and check this place out.


NOAH'S BAGELS

A-

Now as Corner Bakery has the best place to eat breakfast if you want to sit down, then Noah's Bagels is the best place to eat breakfast on the go. Their bagels are baked fresh everyday in store (no vendors) and they have a wide selection of other breakfast sandwiches and coffees. I tried their blueberry bagel and it was nice and crunchy. The Hazelnut coffee was also good and sweet, just the way I like it. The only negative is that it is a little pricey (a bagel with cream cheese and a side of coffee ran about $5), and the amount of cream cheese was thick (that's maybe where the high price comes from), but you can't beat the unlimited coffee refills.



STARBUCKS

C+

Okay, the coffee is good, but the breakfast selection is not so hot. That's why it has such a low rating. First off, why does an old-fashioned donut cost $1.50?! C'mon, what's wrong with you people. I also think that their other pastries have gotten smaller and gained in price since it opened. I remember when I bought a blueberry muffin and it had this huge muffin top with a wide base and it only cost a buck. Now I get a cylindrical shaped muffin that's half the size for $1.50. I think the one on display was looking like it was about to melt apart too. Gross!!! I saved my appetite for just a coffee crumble cake, which was good but didn't blow me away. I think when Starbucks started to expand into other areas, it really fell behind in what they did best. The coffee was decent but not something I would go out of the way for. Just stop here for coffee if you missed making it at home.



SO no matter where you are at, I encourage you to check out eating breakfast once. Just give it a shot and post your comments below!

4 comments:

  1. The only place I had breakfast that you've mentioned above was Starbucks. I had only a ham, cheese and egg sandwich. It was satisfying, but nothing special.

    I usually don't go out to eat breakfast but instead make breakfast at home. I do sometimes eat breakfast foods for dinner at Denny's and they have delicious pancakes. I love pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, I had breakfast at McDonald's too and that is also satisfying. The food was good enough that I would eat there again. It is a simple, quick and easy to eat breakfast designed for people on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One weird word: McGriddle. If you aren't basing your standards on these places best work, I just don't know if I can trust your grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I didn't try the McGriddle but everyone has their own favorites. I enjoyed the Sausage McMuffin with Egg. Always a treat there.

    I love pancakes too, but I didn't order any because no one served it except McDonald's and I know that they don't make it fresh there.

    ReplyDelete