Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sonic Reviewed!



Sorry kids, but I'm not talking about everyone's favorite blue hedgehog here. I'm talking about the greatest drive-in restaurant on the face of the planet: Sonic! Okay it wasn't that great, but here's my review:

B+

A nostalgic place to eat, but the quality of its eats could be a little better.

First off, if you've never been, it's basically a traditional drive-in restaurant where diners pull up their cars to one of several menu boards and speak directly into the microphone the food that they want. Most Sonic joints (except this one) deliver your food while on roller skates and then attach the tray of food on the side of your car. I guess due to liability reasons in California, they no longer do that. Then everyone enjoys their meals and has a great time. That last part is not really included in the cost.

The drinks and dessert selection was quite nice and plentiful. During certain hours of the day is happy hour where drinks are half off. Personally I had the ice cream cone on one occasion for a buck and it was delicious. My comrades that I went with had various other drinks such as cherry limeade which they were certainly addicted to. Almost to the point of scary. Just kidding. It was good though as they put in a real cherry and green lemon to give it the right amount of flavor.
Now when we came on another day to try some of their fast food, I must say I was a bit disappointed by the taste alone. For a place that is suppose to highlight its unique flavors and nostalgia, they sure missed the ball when it came down to food quality. The fries were bland and looked like they came out of a tube. C'mon Sonic, its the 21st century, even Carl's Jr uses fresher fries than these! The popcorn chicken was good but nothing special about it. Even the pictures of other food options looked rather bland. It was almost as if they stole the menu from a Boomers! mini golf snack bar. For some strange reason, you could also upgrade your meal for no added cost. What's the deal with that?! Trying to make people feel good about themselves for eating even more bland food.

Oh well, for all its worth, its a great nostalgic place to eat. If you enjoy eating in your car or dining in their outdoor patio, then Sonic is your place to go. Don't forget to order that famous Cherry Limeade!

3 comments:

  1. Yay, Sonics! I did find one in Lake Forest, so we no longer have to go to Yuba City to enjoy Sonics. I had the cherry slush, which was just like a regular slushie you would get from a Quik-E market, but it has the right amount of flavor for me.

    The free upgrade only applies to the soda if you ordered one of the Soncis meals, I believe. They will upgrade your drink to the 44 oz. size - huge and great to accompany you on a long drive. I agree with your Sonics grade. Sonics is good. Sonics.

    SONICS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Mr. TT. That cherry slush sounds delicious and I'm sure my readers appreciate your comments. That's weird that they only upgrade the soda, but at a nickel a cup, I can't blame them. We'll have to go to the one in Lake Forest sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that picture is from Nor Cal!!! But this blog is So Cal Attractions!!!

    Clearly, Nor Cal is so much better that you have to take pictures of stuff and pretend it's So Cal...

    ReplyDelete